AI assistants can be applied both for direct customer service and within the operations of an organization. AI that understands customers, context, and that can be proactive will lead to automation of many repetitive tasks.
- Level 1 – Notification: Simple notifications on your phone.
- Level 2 – FAQ: The most common type of assistant at the moment, allowing a user to ask a simple question and get a response.
- Level 3 – Contextual: Context matters: what the user has said
before,when / where / how she said it, and so on. Considering context also means being capable of understanding and responding to different and unexpected inputs. This is on the horizon (see the Google Duplex demo below).
- Level 4 – Personalised: AI assistants will start to learn more about their users, taking the initiative and begin acting on behalf of the user.
- Level 5 – Autonomous: Groups of AI assistants that know every customer personally and eventually run large parts of company operations.
For an in-depth discussion of this topic, see Chapter 11 (Actors and Agents) in Frankish & Ramsey’s Cambridge Handbook of Artificial Intelligence.